[mythtv-users] Intel i965 video buffers errors on frontend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 20 15:17:03 UTC 2017

On 20/07/17 15:40, Mark Perkins wrote:

> My understanding of the discontinuous messages is that it is associated with
> the implementation of the LiveTV chain which allows you to skip back /
> forward over LiveTV channel changes. For the specifics of how it works would
> probably need input from the code author JYA but my understanding is that it
> is essentially informational messages only and should not be an indication
> of a problem or a glitch.

I think you mean /program/ changes here. Live TV records each scheduled program as a separate file,
so that when one ends and another begins, there is file wrapping up to do and the need to create a
fresh file for the next program.

When recording, this never happens, of course. Each recording is a single file and the housekeeping
is never seen, since it happens either before the program starts recording or after it ends.

If I am watching recording A while something is being recorded on another channel (B), I
occasionally notice a brief pause when recording B ends, but nothing is lost. I if were to re-play
recording A I would not have the same pause, nor would there be any defects when later watching
recording B.

--

Mike Perkins