[mythtv-users] Best options for commercial detection in Australia

evade. evade at internode.on.net
Sat Jul 15 11:54:37 UTC 2017

On 15/07/17 21:43, Mark Perkins wrote:
> On 15 July 2017 8:33:11 pm evade. <evade at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've used MythTV for about 10 years and although Australian free-to-air
>> TV networks are known for difficult commercial detection, MythTV used to
>> work really well a few years ago.
>>
>> Do any Australians have Commercial Detection working well and could they
>> please let me know what methods they use for which channels?
>>

>> Aside from the obvious things, like turning off commercial detection on
>> commercial-free ABC, I've found that I have to use the 'strict
>> commercial detection' option to prevent problems.
>>
>> For example in AFL games the network goes to an Ad break after a goal is
>> scored.  If another goal is scored within 30 seconds and the network
>> goes to another Ad break MythTV was putting them all together and
>> skipping the game time in between.
>>
>> Without the 'strict commercial detection' option I've also had other
>> issues with parts of a program being cut with the Ads.
>>

>> I've not experimented yet, but I get the impression that SBS is less
>> sneaky about their Ad breaks and one of the simpler detection methods
>> might suffice.
>>
>> I've had no consistent success with Nine, Seven or Ten.
>>

>> Thanks!
>> evade.

> What version mythtv are you running? IIRC user faginbagin identified an
> issue with how some commflag technical parameters were being calculated /
> handled and developed a series of patches to remedy. But I don't recall if
> they got pushed to fixes or not. If they did it was probably only to
> fixes/0.28, maybe.
>
> I use the silence detection script (Australian FTA Dvb-t)
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences
>
> It seems to work reasonably well on movies (maybe 75%). Not so great on TV
> series particularly channel 7.

Thanks again Mark!

That script is promising, but it looks a little complex to implement.

I see it's a few years old, yet hasn't been included with MythTV yet.
Is that a bad thing?

You're right, I actually have an older version currently on our main TV
(0.27.6+fixes20170114) stuck on mythbuntu 14.04.  However I've been
writing questions here as I'm building a new MythTV box which has
0.28.1-3 (2017-04-24).

evade.