[mythtv-users] winTV-dualHD in 32on64 config

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Wed Jul 12 14:03:21 UTC 2017

On 12/07/17 08:34, Ian Campbell wrote:
> I have a 32-bit mythtv 0.28 install (Debian based, using dmo mythtv
> packages) with a winTV-dualHD USB dongle which works great (well, the
> first tuner does, the second is not yet supported).
>
> The system has 6G of RAM and runs Debian's 4.9 kernel from Stretch (PAE
> flavour so it has access to all 6G) however I was considering a cross
> grade to 64-bit and as a first step decided to run the existing 32-bit
> userspace on a 64-bit kernel. I was also hoping this might help
> mitigate some db performance issues I'd been seeing.
>
> In the 32 on 64 configuration the winTV-dualHD fails to tune, I
> rebooted between the two kernels several times and it seems to
> consistently work with the PAE kernel and fail with the amd64 kernel.
>
> Has anyone come across this before? I have a vague memory of historical
> issues with v4l and compat ioctls (i.e. the translation applied to
> ioctls made by 32-bit applications on a 64-bit kernel) but I think that
> was a long time ago and might be fixed by now. Does anyone know if this
> configuration still has issues? I appreciate it is quite a rare one so
> perhaps noone knows.
>
> The system also has some PVR 500 non-HD PCI tuners in it, which seem to
> work fine with both kernels, so maybe this is just a driver specific
> issue, or is somehow specific to HD tuners.
>
> Alternatively does anyone have experience with the winTV-dualHD in a
> fully 64-bit mythtv 0.28 configuration? If it works then that might
> make me more confident about proceeding with a (possibly partial)
> cross-grade of the userspace.

I've done some testing with this stick in a pure 64 bit environment
and it does work (still on the first tuner only)

Your issue certainly sounds like it is in the compatibility layer.

Anyway, as the stick is USB, it should be trivial to try it out
on another (64bit) system, even if it's only with one of the generic
dvb apps like kaffeine.

Regards
Stuart