[mythtv-users] Qt 5.8.0 v. 5.7.1

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 15:08:53 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Are there any particular changes in Qt 5.8 that should be of interest or concern?

Qt 5.8 is known to have some issues on some
systems (there is a ticket in MythTV trac which
indicates 100% cpu on 32-bit).  The QA process
seemed to have slipped a bit during the various
transitions/refocusing of the QT project during
the 5.8 release process.  The impacts on any
particular environment will, of course, vary.
Depending on how long you intend to run with
5.8, you should be aware that the Qt project has
already "dephased" support of Qt 5.8 (it was
intended as a single point release), in preference
to moving forward.

Qt 5.9 (which is intended as a LTS release) is
now available, and if you have the interest and
time, I suspect it would be useful to know if
MythTV compiles with it (there have already been
a patch (or two?) committed for known/expected
issues), and if it runs well in that environment.
The disadvantage may be that you end up
being a Qt bug reporter.