[mythtv-users] LIRC problem: hardware does not support sending

bigboi at wackywombats.com bigboi at wackywombats.com
Mon Jan 23 22:00:24 UTC 2017

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] LIRC problem: hardware does not support
sending
From: Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, January 23, 2017 2:33 pm
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On 23/01/17 22:16, bigboi at wackywombats.com wrote:

> Alec,
>
> What driver should I be using? I'm not at my home computer right now so
> I'm not sure what it is currently. Where does the driver get set?

The short reply is 'it depends'. Are you using the same usb device to
send and receive data? or is it like send-only?

You could make a simple test, assuming USB hardware: Pull out the usb
dongle and then re-insert it. If it's like I suspect, a new device
/dev/lirc0 will be created when you insert your USB plug. If so, the
driver should be 'default' and device '/dev/lirc0'

If you using the same device to receive data you could (should?) use
mode2(1) to check the settings. A command like

 mode2 --driver default --device /dev/lirc0

should output pulse/space durations when receiving data. Examples in the

mode2 manpage (a. k a. RTFM :) )

But, I made a lot of assumptions here - many of which might be wrong...

Cheers!

--alec

Alec,

I have a USB device and it is transmit only. I do see the /dev/lirc0,
but how do I see if the driver is 'default' and the device is
'/dev/lirc0'? I'm assuming this info should be in a config file
somewhere?

A little more info: I saved my lircd.conf and lircmd.conf files from my
old install so could something in one of those (or the hardware.conf
file) be causing the problem?

Paul