[mythtv-users] What are my options for DTV recording in the US?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jan 18 05:42:04 UTC 2017

On 01/17/17 12:51 PM, Andrew Stadt wrote:
> On 2017-01-17 01:38 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017, 12:35 PM Michael
>> <<mailto:mythtv at blandford.net>mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:
>>
>>     On 01/17/2017 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:
>>     > _____________________________________
>>     > I would just assume it is bad. I have 2 HD-PVRs for about 4 years now
>>     > and have replaced at least 5 power supplies now between them.
>>     > Send an email to sales at hauppauge.com <mailto:sales at hauppauge.com> saying
>>     you want to buy a new one.
>>     > With shipping they are $16.10 (sold and shipped to Virginia) and only
>>     > take a couple days to get.
>>     >

>>     Based on a tip in this list several years ago, I bought these D-link
>>     power supplies for ~$12 including shipping.
>>

>>     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FA5WE2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>

>>     I haven't needed to replace them in the last 3+ years.
>>

>> I run four HDHRs and their associated four tuners off an old ATX power
>> supply.  Likely more efficient and definitely more reliable.  And it only cost
>> me a couple bucks to buy the barrel plug pigtails.
>>

> I use the power supply in the computer i'm using the HD-PVR on... turn on the
> computer, turns on the HD-PVR's.
>
> For the barrel plug, I just cut the old one off the fail(ed/ing) power supply...
> just make sure you get the polarity right. Not home right now, but I can test
> later if you need.

  If you are actually needing replacement HDPVRs, looks like Halted still has
some in stock:
http://halted.com/ccp26821-hauppage-pvr-1212-pcb-high-definition-personal-vi-pvr-1212-pcb-84119.htm

  (I've posted this before.  I also have no association with Halted, other than
it being a local store and having bought a couple HDPVR's from them).

  Note that they only sell the motherboard (no case, power supply), but if the
motherboard is what is failing, that is all you need.