[mythtv-users] MythTV uPnP and Android

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jan 16 22:34:45 UTC 2017

I mentioned in another thread that I had been trying to play content
from Myth on my underemployed Android 4.2.2 tablet. I started with the
thought that it might give me usable audio streaming.  I haven't had
much Android experience, and may not want to actually use the tablet for
this in real life, but it's looking quite promising, with both
0.28-fixes and 0.29-pre.   Here's a brief report.

The App info shows as com.ginkgosoft.dnla.ctrl Version 0.9.48 and the
main icon is called GinkgoDlna

It seems to use a native Android Renderer to play Music content, and a
selectable video app to play video content.  I'm using VLC.

I do have problems with the video display, as I mentioned in the other
thread.

I found at first that, during playback, sound worked but the screen was
black except when the tablet was rotated.  Then a good video display
would appear, rotate through 90 degrees with appropriate change of
scale,...and fade away again.

Later I found that h264 content displays properly - until it triggers a
hardware decoding error, when it falls back to software decoding with
the behaviour above. That is what I always see for most of my content,
which is mpeg2 encoded.

I tried one other video player but it seemed no better than VLC and had
intrusive ads.

I haven't yet found fast-forward or other controls of playback position.

John P