[mythtv-users] Lip sync issue (audio is behind video)

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:04:18 UTC 2017

Dear list,

I recently added a sound bar to my TV. It is connected to the TV by
means of an optical cable. The TV's volume is turned all the way down.
Audio is now around half a second behind (i.e. later than) video. The
signal comes from the frontend via HDMI.

There was already a delay before I added the sound bar, but it's now
become much more noticeable.

My TV has the ability to delay audio relative to video, but of course in
my case that just makes the problem worse rather than better.

I have the same problem (although much less pronounced) when I watch
live TV by means of the cable STB which is connected to another of the
TV's HDMI inputs, so it seems that my problem has two components: part
of the delay when I watch recordings is caused in the frontend, and the
TV then makes it worse by adding a further delay when passing the audio
through to the optical output towards the sound bar.

The frontend's component is not caused by recordings already having the
delay because the issue also occurs when I play back my ripped DVDs.

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and mythtv 0.27-fixes. Please let me know what other
information is needed.

I'd be grateful for any hints.

Cheers, Jan