[mythtv-users] de-interlacing quality and a new frontend

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Fri Jan 6 13:54:33 UTC 2017

> Hi mythtv users
>
> My current nvidia ION (ASROCK) frontend is starting to play up and I'm
> thinking it may be time for an upgrade.
>
> Output is 1920x1080p. I'm in Australia and no OTA signal exceeds this
> resolution (interlaced). Most of it is less.
>
> I tried a VAAPI frontend a while ago and did not like the quality of the
> deinterlacing (ECS Liva).
>
> What is the best choice today for a small and quiet frontend with high
> quality output?
>
> Live TV is very important in my family, unfortunately (if this makes a
> difference).
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

A Raspberry Pi 3 is a cheap frontend, but I didn't like the video as
well (it has a bug with myth that causes a stuttering like effect on
camera moves - you either notice it or don't, but I noticed it and drove
me crazy).  That bug isn't present using Kodi and the mythtv plugin, but
I still noticed deinterlacing didn't look as good, and I think the
mythtv frontend is just better to use for WAF.

I ended up using the Jetway Nvidia Ion - I think its a great cheap(ish)
frontend ($179USD with memory and SSD, and has a remote that emulates a
keyboard so you don't have to bother with LIRC).  I think once you get
used to having VDPAU, its hard to go anywhere else :)

Here is a video about it and mythtv on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cff77kjT-jY