[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH Cooling Fan?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:37:57 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Andrew Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:

> Don't have one myself, but IIRC from earlier conversations on this list,
> that isn't a usb port but an external tuning adapter port.

Tuning adapters use USB.

I am pretty sure(*) it was a mini-USB (and Ceton supplied
the slightly unusual to source mini-USB to USB-B cable).
But I do know that some mini-USB connectors have always
been problematic for me due to slight differences in physical
implementation, especially in some cheaper cables.
Measure twice, cut once (look carefully to make sure it is
really mini-USB, and consider use a bit more force to get
it to plug in).

Or, go back and reconsider if you need a fan at all
(if that is why you want to use the mini-USB port).
As long as the ETH 6 is not blocked from airflow it
is designed to work (yes, it runs warm/hot, but all
the Cetons apparently do.  Nothing wrong with that
as long as it is within the design point.  I seem to
recall the Ceton web interface showed the
temperatures off one of the various pages.  Internal
cards can be more problematic because cooling
inside some PC enclosures can result in elevated
temps, but the ETH 6 is designed to just use
convection cooling.  Unless the ambient air temp
is hot (inside some dark, airless media center,
in which case adding a fan to move around hot
air is not a good solution anyway), I suspect it will
just work.

(*) Where "pretty sure" is about 80%.  It has been quite
some time since I looked at a ETH 6 tuning adapter port,
and I never tried to actually plug anything into it.