[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Jan 2 09:34:29 UTC 2017

On 01/01/2017 21:16, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I meant the Live TV from within MythTV.
>> I don't have a real TV to check signals with, but did have TV guys come out and check the signal a couple of years ago. The signal runs through 2 boosters now.
>
> But, you shouldn't have 2 boosters. It's a common misconception that chaining boosters will help - in general it won't, because if you have that weak a signal, your boosters will amplify the noise and you'll end up with plenty of signal but with a crap signal/noise ratio (snr). snr is probably more important than signal strength !

Just a thought: try removing one of the boosters. Perhaps your
transmitter has been upgraded to higher power and now you have too much
signal. In any case, 2 boosters is unlikely to solve a signal problem.
And if you need even a single booster, it should be on the mast head not
after the long run of cable. All things worth sorting out, whether or
not you stick with MythTV or move to another system.

Cheers,
	Paul.