[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jan 2 04:39:06 UTC 2017

> >> I meant the Live TV from within MythTV.
> >> I don't have a real TV to check signals with, but did have TV guys come
> out and check the signal a couple of years ago. The signal runs through 2
> boosters now.
> >  From those last 7 words tell me that you have an aerial problem.
> I understand why you have come to that conclusion, but I'm sure that's
> not the whole story. If it was, why would the chanels almost always be
> available after a reboot?
> I have has all of the channels working fine since all of the major
> transmitter changes. This problem has been going one for about 4 months.
> Earlier today, I only had a few channels working.
> Just now, I logged into the sever (via vnc) and checked the transports.
> They are all correct compared to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Mendip
> After closing mythtv-setup, which then restarted the backend, all of the
> channels are working fine again. I didn't even reboot this time, just
> restarted the backend.
> What will happen now is that the BBC channels will probably stop working
> by tomorrow. Then the rest may or may not follow.
> So, although my aerial setup is less than ideal, it doesn't seem to
> explain this 'working for a bit' pattern.

If this is true, then it's likely not Mythtv at fault still... the software
doesn't have anything to do with reception.

That leaves two probable causes:

1. Hardware: Its possible that the tuner hardware your using gets flaky
over time... perhaps you need better cooling?
2. Drivers: It's possible there is some sort of issue in the drivers that
over time they start acting dumb.

The fact remains, I cannot see how mythtv itself would drop channels on its
own.  All the channels are is just a record in the database.

Perhaps you have something misconfigured (wrong lineup in SchedulesDirect,
or EIT on by mistake) and every time it runs mythfilldatabase its changing
your channel configuration?  But if thats the case, then mythtv is just
doing what you told it to.