[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 02:52:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 1:44 AM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> Actually the whole art of RF cables is pure magic.

I will (likely mis-) quote Arthur C Clarke:  "Any sufficiently
advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
This is not magic, but...

> You *need* to have your antenna installed by someone who understands the magic (good luck in finding one)

Your typical physicist or EE understands the technology,
but there is a reason that your typically installer does
not have that degree (and it involves your willingness to
pay their usual and customary rates for that knowledge).

Anyone can hang out a shingle saying "experienced
TV antenna installer".  Real knowledge requires a bit
more (and very expensive) learning and the tools to
do the validation(*).  "Looks good to me" is not the
equivalent of a spectrum analysis report (old adage,
"You get what you pay for").

(*) Do you require a full spectrum report with dB and
SNR?  If not, why not? (**)

(**) I used to recommend a end-to-end validation of
(network) cabling in the RFP.  I a lot of contractors
dropped out when they understood that that required
equipment (such as the Fluke DTX-1800) that they
not only had to purchase, but be trained to use.  Some
of the "cable monkeys" they used for installations were
not quite ready for that step.