[mythtv-users] Duplicate channels

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Jan 1 19:01:12 UTC 2017

On 01/01/17 16:41, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> My UK-based mythtv setup has been working well, and I don't want to do
> any major surgery to it, but over Christmas, I have had a few
> duplicate recordings from the same channel at the same time (in this
> case from ITV - I assume that different regions have different EPGs
> with different programme names). Digging out some SQL, I see that I
> have duplicate channels (several more than the excerpt below):
>
> chanid  channum name    serviceid
> 12301   101     BBC One W Mid   10301
> 8940    102     BBC Two HD      6940
> 57411   102     BBC Two HD      6940
> 12060   103     ITV     10060
> 12080   103     ITV     10080
>
> For the ~15 ITV examples, I can pull them apart from the serviceid.
> For the others, it looks like the chanid.
>
> Before I spend the time to do this, I would like to understand what
> has happened.
>
> Are these just regional channels, poorly named?
>
> Why does Myth not complain about non-unique channum entries?
>
> How does Myth decide which channel to take when there are non-unique
> channum entries?
>
> What SQL would pick out non-unique channum entries?
>
> What do the duplicate serviceid entries mean? Multiple scans?
>
> I'd be grateful for any insight.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

Assuming that you are using Freeview DVB-T/T2 in a problem-free location
with a good antenna in the service area of a single transmitter, you
should be able to control which muxes you get by using the 'transport
editor.'

https://ukfree.tv/maps/freeview  has been mentioned recently here and
will tell you what frequencies are appropriate.

I've just returned home and reset my laptop within a few minutes by
deleting all DVB channels and transports, entering only the frequency,
b/w, modulation scheme and system of the main HD mux here (770000000 Hz,
8MHz, QAM-256, DVB-T2) and scanning all known transports with
inter-transport links enabled.  Here that doesn't find the BBC FOUR HD
and one other HD mux, but their details are web-listed and easily
entered: a second scan then gives 9 transports, 173 channels, no
duplicates.

At first Live TV (which I rarely use) looked for and failed to find one
of the BBC Red Button Olympics channels, but as soon as a recording
started Live TV worked too.

kubuntu 16.04, up-to-date, with Myth packages from the 0.28-fixes ppa;
PCTV-290e USB tuner.

HTH,

John P