[mythtv-users] mythbackend lockup/crash

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Feb 27 03:02:11 UTC 2017

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 19:27:36 -0600, you wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Martin Gallant <martyg at goodbit.net> wrote:
>
>> Before you start pulling you hair out over the software, suggest you
>> inspect your machines for plugged up fans and heatsinks.
>>
>> What you describe could be consistent with a thermal/overheating issue,
>> especially if the system has been stable a long time.
>>
>> snip
>>

>I should have included more information but my backend is a KVM vm, the
>linux host is fuly operational when mythbackend stops responding, thats the
>best way to describe it.  Mythweb doesn't work and anything that tries to
>connect to the backend times out.  The process is still running but it just
>stops responding to anything.
>
>I created a cron script to check on connectivity to the backend every
>minute and restart it if it finds it not responding.  I will probably also
>create a cron to nightly restart mythbackend and that really will prolly
>due it but never have had to do that in the past.
>
>For the most part it just works but something hangs it in an odd way.

If it is only happening when you start LiveTV, then I think I get that
too in 0.28-fixes.  It is quite reproducible for me - if I use LiveTV
to manually test all of my tuners (3 x DVB-T, 2 x DVB-S2), then it is
likely to lock up at some point.  Since I do not use LiveTV except for
testing tuners, I have not bothered to try to track down the problem
yet.