[mythtv-users] frontend fails

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 24 21:04:59 UTC 2017

On 25 February 2017 1:16:54 AM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 24/2/17 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm building a myth system for a mate.
>>> Because of hastles with mythbuntu I've built from source (MythTV Version
>>> : v0.28.1-3-gfc737ff-dirty) and made a deb and am running on ubuntu 16.04.
>>> Backend / Frontend machine works normally.
>>>
>>> A seperate frontend machine cannot find the backend.
>>>
>>> myth at slave:~$ telnet ws132 6543
>>> Trying 192.168.5.132...
>>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>>>
>>> OK that's clearly the reason
>>>
>>> myth at master:~$ netstat -anp |grep 6543
>>> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6543          0.0.0.0:* LISTEN      -
>>> tcp6       0      0 fe80::fc70:940a:21:6543 :::* LISTEN      -
>>> tcp6       0      0 ::1:6543                :::* LISTEN      -
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> James
>>> ______________________________________
>> If it is only listening on 127.0.0.1 as it appears from netstat then you
>> will need to rerun mythtv-setup on the master backend and check the values
>> for IPv4 address and Master Backend IP address. One of them appears to be
>> either localhost or 127.0.0.1.
> Both are the valid 192.168 addresses

Check the backend log file and look for the "Listening on TCP" lines near
the start and see if there are any errors getting logged at that time.

While there check that the InitializeMythDirs are pointing to the paths you
are expecting. What user is running your backend?

... Snip...

> So my confusion is justified. I'll try changing '%' to '192.168.5.%' to
> see what happens. Meanwhile I'm really confused.
>
> Thanks Mark
> James
This would be worth trying. I had problems accessing the database with host
of '%' once that appeared to resolve with host of 'xxx.xxx.xxx.%'