[mythtv-users] frontend fails

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 20:50:13 UTC 2017

On 02/24/2017 03:38 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hi Curtis
>> My thinking was for the backend to wait until (in sequence)
>> 1. Database can connect
>> 2. The backend's IP address is available on an interface (backend IP
>> address is stored in the mythtv database for each backend, by name).
>> If you do not have a (external) network you must set the database and
>> backend to ip address 127.0.0.1 (or ::1 if using IPV6) for it to work.
>> It would find that address on the loopback interface and would continue
>> startup. I think you always need at least the loopback network interface.
>> If you have a network, you need to set up your network ip address in the
>> database, then it will wait for that ip address to be available before
>> backend can proceed with startup.
>> Item 1. is already done in master. Item 2. should not be hard.
>> Let me know if there are any issues with all this.
>> Peter
> what if the database sits on a different machine then the backend?
> Then 2 and 1 have to be reversed.
>
> Tot mails,
>    Hikamailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

I don't think so. The program will still wait until it can contact the
database first. If they were on a different machine, then the IP
addresses will need to be available before database access. This just
means that the second step of waiting for ip address availability will
succeed immediately, no waiting required. We do need the database first,
because the ip address we are looking for is stored there.

Peter