[mythtv-users] Using mythbuntu with VLC

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Thu Feb 23 22:07:30 UTC 2017

On 23/02/17 21:33, Alan Buxton wrote:
> Ok so does this mean that I can’t use VLC with mythtv to play back videos?
>

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VLC makes it seem like this is supported,
> though when I follow those instructions I get this error.
>

> Thanks

VLC will play recordings made with MythTV just fine so long as VLC can
access the files, that is they are either on the same computer VLC is
running on or made available using NFS or CIFS. What it can't do is play
files using the Myth protocol ie URL's that start with myth://.

I do have an experimental VLC plugin that does supports playing files
using the myth:// protocol in my fork at
https://github.com/paul-h/mythtv/tree/master/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend_qml/VLCPlugin
which I use for my own use.

You can view and playback recording directly in VLC if the plugin is
stalled. I don't think it would be too difficult to modify it to work
with videos if that is what you want. While it works for my purpose it
is unsupported by me so if you need to ask how to compile and install it
sorry you are on your own.

Paul H.