[mythtv-users] HVR-950q analog/NTSC capture has no sound

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 13 21:42:25 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 04:33 PM, James Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2017, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> It's a little off the wall, but try plugging the two units into USB
>> sockets *which are on different hubs*. Say, one on a rear socket and
>> one on the front of the box. It is quite possible that the usb
>> sub-system is getting confused about the number of units actually
>> available *on one hub*, since they obviously have the same usb
>> identifier.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Geoff. Sounds worth a try, though I'll have
> to do some strategizing to implement it. First, I'm not sure this box
> has more than one hub built in: this is a Liva X with only 3 USB ports.
> I suppose it might nonetheless be worthwhile checking whether plugging
> one or other of the HVR-950q's into a different USB port might have an
> effect.
>
> One USB port is home to the system's recording storage drive connector,
> so I don't want to mess with that one. Another port has my flirc plugged
> into it which, apart from the fact that it is currently in the optimum
> orientation to receive signals from my remote, could otherwise be
> plugged into my external USB hub (in place of the errant HVR-950q). The
> third port is where I connect the external hub into which the two
> HVR-950q's are currently plugged.

Ah HAH! He said. Try temporarily plugging one of the HVR units into the
box, and leave the other on the hub (dispense with the flirc unit while
testing). You may now find that both are discovered, which points to a
problem with the hub.

And check for any more USB plug points on the motherboard. There may be
a capabiliy of adding more direct ports.

Geoff