[mythtv-users] HVR-950q analog/NTSC capture has no sound

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Feb 10 05:30:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017, James Miller wrote:

> Now that I've rebooted, I'm bumping into another minor issue. For some
> reason, every time I reboot and/or power-cycle the machine, only one of the
> HVR-950q NTSC tuners gets detected and configured: only video0 appears under
> /dev (that's not the one through which I'm trying to record analog
> audio/video). It's an easy fix: all I have to do is unplug and re-plug the
> second HVR-950q from/to the usb cable and immediately video1 appears, along
> with the udev symlink I've created for it, under the /dev directory. I'm not
> sure why I cannot get the system to detect and initialize both of these
> tuners on boot/re-boot; perhaps this is an indication that I need to compile
> snd-usb-audio into the kernel? Or maybe there's a kernel parameter to be
> specified? For what it's worth I have no initramfs and simply use the
> kernel's built-in command-line to boot this system. Probably something I'll
> need to inquire about on the Gentoo forums.

A perhaps parting comment on this new issue, before I head off to seek
help on what seems some more a strange hardware issue that anything
directly connected with MythTV. What is really odd here is that the dvb
tuners in both cards seem to initialize just fine on reboot/power-cycle.
So far as I can discern, the analog audio component of both cards
initializes fine as well--at least the udev rules I created for them seem
to implement normally (arecord -l displays the names I specified for
each). It is somehow only the analog video component of one of the two
that fails to initialize properly on reboot/power-cycle. In order for that
second analog video tuner to properly initialize and appear under /dev, an
unplug/replug is required. Weird.