[mythtv-users] HVR-950q analog/NTSC capture has no sound

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Feb 9 16:58:56 UTC 2017

MythTV 0.27 installed under Gentoo with ALSA-only sound configured, kernel
3.18.25. Acquired a couple of these tuners (used) recently. Set up one of
them, without any hitches whatsoever, to record ATSC: it's been working
great. Decided to experiment with the other, hoping to capture some analog
broadcasting from a DTA. Tried ffmpeg capture, viewing with mpv, vlc, and
MythTV (set up as analog capture card under the latter) using various
iterations of suspected audio hardware specification: I get no sound in
any of those configurations--only video gets captured.

The clue that makes most sense to me as an explanation was found in the
thread https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/450443 in a comment made by Devin
('Bear in mind we're talking about the ALSA *capture* device built into
the HVR-950q, not the sound card that you output to. You can run "arecord
-l" to determine which capture device is the 950q'). Devin's suggestion to
run arecord -l to find out the ALSA designation for the card's audio
component results in no detection of any sort of sound device associated
with either of the HVR-950q's attached to my system; only the onboard
audio chip in my Liva X gets listed. Same results looking at
/proc/asound/cards under alsamixer. So, if I'm understanding correctly
what's at stake here, the analog sound hardware for this device is somehow
not detected/configured on my system, so of course I cannot capture any
sound to go along with the analog video I am able to capture from it.

Research indicates it is a fairly common problem that recording analog
audio from this device fails. Someone at
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1340117.htm (fairly old post)
goes so far as to claim that OSS compatibility is required to get reliable
analog audio from the HVR-950q. Other information I've encountered leads
me to believe it should be possible to capture analog audio using ALSA.

Can anyone offer input on what sorts of additional steps I might take to
try and get analog audio capture working on this device? It's beginning to
look to me as though this will be a hardware issue I'll need to solve for
this particular machine/distro. But any sort of leads any list member
might offer that could get me started in the right direction will be
appreciated.

Further background on the task: the apartment building in which I live
supplies cable for now, though they may ditch it soon. In the wake of the
switchover to copy-protected digital broadcasting in my area, I decided to
borrow a DTA that has an analog F connector that outputs non-encrypted SD.
The aim is to capture a particular cable program we watch with some
regularity. To that end I set the DTA to output on channel 3 and tuned it
to the desired station. The DTA outputs both sound and video when hooked
directly to a TV. Under MythTV, I should be able to set the system to
record from the analog capture device (one of the HVR-950q's) for a given
period of time on certain days. Like I said above it seems mostly working
apart from the lack of sound to go along with the analog video.

Other links: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-866117-start-0.html and
the list thread entitled [mythtv-users] Analog cable on an HP KS523AA