[mythtv-users] Anybody using an Nvidia Shield as an FE? Tegra X1, 3GB RAM

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:15:18 UTC 2017

Oops - shortcut key sent early.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a particular reason why you don't just use KODI, the
>>> Integration is excellent between the two.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Gordon
>>>

>> Kodi is my go-to FE for all my Windows boxes, but its organization and
>> features just aren't as good as a full MythTV Front End. I haven't tried
>> MythTV on Kodi 17 because my back end died the other day, but perhaps with
>> the new UI they've made things a lot better. Once I get my back end fixed or
>> rebuilt I'll give that a shot.

I run Kodi on Shields in a couple places.  I can give you a detailed
breakdown of why I hate it:

1.  Remote control interface sucks.
  - There is support for Logitech Harmony remotes, but there are only
11 keys available and they are not easily re-mapped to other than what
nVidia decides they should be.
  - The nVidia remotes (handheld tiny remote) definitely lacks on what
you can do (skip commercials, etc) does not exist.
  - Game controller works fairly good, but who wants to control their
TV (and especially only the Shield) with a game controller

2.  It locks up *a lot* when it syncs with MythTV at startup and is
pulling guide data or scanning the library over NFS for Videos or
pulling recordings in.  Kodi is looking for volunteer android
developers.  There is currently a lack of..

3.  Sharing MySQL tables - if you have more than one Kodi, it is
beneficial to share a MySQL database - which in turn shares the
library between them.  This does not 100% work on Android, and I have
filled the space up with artwork for Music and Videos.

4.  Teaching someone how to restart a crashed Kodi on android (iPhone
users I'm referring to here) is a painful experience..  They are
accustomed to non-advanced features that Apple just makes work and do
not like to tinker.

I probably have a few more items, but cannot think of them righ tnow.

-Greg