[mythtv-users] Support via email group versus forum??

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Mon Feb 6 22:19:58 UTC 2017

On 06/02/17 17:01, Joseph Fry wrote:
>     > On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Jim Abernathy
>     <jfabernathy at outlook.com <mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     >> Can someone explain this to me??
>     >
>     > The likely best answer is that while the email
>     > list worked, some felt that enabling interaction
>     > via a forum would be a positive step for the
>     > community, so one was made available as a
>     > choice.  There is no one right way to interact,
>     > and there is no plan to eliminate either.  Not
>     > everyone will choose to participate in all
>     > locations, others will be active everywhere.
>     >

>     As the person that setup the forum, this is pretty much
>     it. Some people like forums, some like email.
>
>     I have some future work planned for it, a major version
>     upgrade and integration with a single sign on solution,
>     which will allow social logins. The same SSO solution will
>     also be done to the wiki, hopefully making things better
>     for everyone!
>

> I don't know that I have ever looked at the forums, but I do know that
> some forum software does have the capability to act as a mailing list as
> well (with wide variations in quality)
>
> That would be the best of both worlds if you ask me. Something like
> google groups, where you can participate entirely via email if you
> desire, or use the browser.
>
> It is a shame that the implementation of the forums has fragmented the
> community.  Would be great to bring it back together if it were possible.

i'm not that keen on some kind of forum <-> email gateway, it opens too
many possibilities for abuse.

That said, iirc, the last time i looked at it, it would require some
unholy glue and the use of a news server to gate out to mailman.

Maybe one day, but there are more pressing things that need sorting out
in the infrastructure.

Regards
Stuart