[mythtv-users] Support via email group versus forum??

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Feb 5 14:11:01 UTC 2017

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 11:51:01 +0000, you wrote:

>>> I doubt that there will be a single explanation. Some will just prefer one
>>> over the other. Personally I have signed up to the forums but haven't
>>> logged in there for probably a year now. On the infrequent times I post or
>>> reply the email mechanism just works better for me so that's what I do.
>>>
>> I've noticed on the email list a lot of complaints by the experts that
>> too many people top post or generate new emails instead of replying to
>> the original post.  This is avoidable by use of a forum.  It's also
>> easier to organize forum topics for later research.
>>
>> As someone who has been programming computers since 1969, I find it
>> funny, that an old fart like me prefers the "newer" technology of forums
>> over email. :-)
>>
>> Jim A
>
> It sounds like you just need a better email client.  One that does
> threading automatically.  Following threads is a nightmare with a
> non-threading client.

No-one has mentioned the searchable mail archive, which I find has now
become

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/

The appearance has changed since I last looked, but the 'advanced
search' tool is great for questions that, like most, may not be right at
the cutting edge.  But there, too, following threads with a mix of top
and bottom posting is still a nightmare.

John P