[mythtv-users] Keybinding for volume controls

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 17:56:13 UTC 2017

Hoi Jim,

> On Dec 28, 2017, at 11:20 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hoi  Jim,
>
>  Thursday,  December 28, 2017, 1:55:47 PM, you wrote:
>

>  Having issues with volume control buttons locking up Mythtv Frontend.  I
>  have to CTL-ATL-DEL to get back to logging out.  This is on a Ubuntu
>  16.04 LTS system with mythtv 0.28.
>

>  If I use the [ or ] keys the volume changes as expected. However, I'd
>  like to use the volume-, volume +, and mute buttons on this keyboard
>  since that is what I used to use for mythtv and still do for all other
>  programs and system sound functions.
>

>  I first noticed this when I added a NVidia GT 710 card to my Core 2 Duo
>  system to improve the video playback.  I first tried HDMI audio to the
>  builtin monitor speakers and the system locked up as soon as the volume
>  buttons were pressed.  Switching to analog audio out for external
>  speakers now only occasionally locks up, plus I can use the volume
>  controls on the external speaker amps. so I have a work around.
>

>  I need to figure out how to change the keybindings so I can use the
>  volume buttons on the keyboard instead of [ and ] or retrain myself and
>  wife not to use the normal keyboard volume control buttons. I'm
>  concerned about changing buttons that are system wide assigned like the
>  vol-, vol+, and mute buttons.
>

>  Any ideas?
>

>  Jim A
>

>  Extra  buttons on a keyboard like the volume buttons are keyboard
>  specific.  So any configuration there should be done through a keyboard
>  configuration.  You can of cause see if you can link those to volume
>  control  through "Setup > Edit Keys". Those are under "Music", "TV
>  Frontend"  and "TV Playback”
>

>   I tried the edit keys as you suggested, but when I try to press
> the button for Volume up on the keyboard.  The system intercepts it
> and mythtv never see it’s, so Ubuntu seems to have it locked for it’s use.

> Jim A

If the keyboard came with the machine as a package it is very well
possible that those keys are hard-coded to manage the integrated
audio. That could explain your recent problems.
Else it came with a configuration program, but usually only for
Windows. You can search on make and model on internet.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop