[mythtv-users] Need IR blaster help for HD-PVR

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Dec 25 04:54:44 UTC 2017

On 12/24/2017 9:28 PM, Greg wrote:

> On 12/24/2017 01:29 PM, Don Brett wrote:
>> On 12/23/2017 9:10 AM, Don Brett wrote:
>>> I have a new build of 16.04.3; mostly went well.  The remote control
>>> and blaster uses the Window Media Center Transceivers (mce).   I
>>> selected the remote control options during installation and the
>>> remote works great.
>>>
>>> I went to  MythBuntu Control Centre and enabled the IR transmitter
>>> with "USB-UIRT2 Motorola Cable box".  The remote stopped working and
>>> I couldn't  exit Mythfrontend without killing it through a terminal
>>> (killall mythfrontend / killall mythfrontend.real). Disabling the IR
>>> transmitter put it back to working,  but without a blaster.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on what to try for the blaster?
>>> ---

>> I tried using MyBlaster instead of Lirc, but the script throws an
>> error when configuring USB.  From searching, it used to work, but
>> broke on an upgrade (not sure which).  Now, it fails on this line:
>>
>> $termios->getattr($serial->fileno()) || die "getattr: $!\n";
>>
>> , error message is:
>> getattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>
>> I'm not a Perl programmer; any suggestions on how to fix?
>>
>> Don
>>
>> PS: MyBlaster script is here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/myblaster/files/MyBlaster.1.4.1/MyBlaster1.4.1.zip/

> Is this the same PC,or is it a new one? I have a serial version of
> MyBlaster, and it works fine.. You did edit the script and changed the
> port and entered the the equipment ID ?
> One other thing that could cause that not to work, would be if you
> have it plugged into a USB3 port, seeing these are quite old  the
> blaster's may not work with USB3... I love my MyBlaster it takes less
> that 5 minutes to setup..
>   I wish I could find a few to keep as spares.. I check Ebay a few
> times a month,to see if any are posted...

It's a new build with old parts, except the SSD is new.  I changed these:

port = ttyUSB0 (first USB)
remote code="1106" (motorola STB)
device type = "1" (cable box)
, also checked the physical port; pretty sure it's USB2

I put it back to use COM1 and did not see the error, so assumed it's a
USB issue.  I agree, it's really easy  to setup, so I have high hopes
for it.  By the way, I also tried it on an older box (MythBuntu
12.04)....same result.