[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 scan fails (0.29)

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 24 09:22:43 UTC 2017

On 24 December 2017 at 02:34, UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I can' t make much sense of either, but this error in the backend seems
> damning:
> DiSEqCDevTree: No root device tree node!
> What should I do about it?
> It looks like I'm almost there...

Success!

Having some sleep helps, but mostly it's down to voodoo I'm afraid.
It' s not 100% working yet but the good news is I am now able to get a TV
signal (some of the time) and I'm even trying my first recording with the
redone box as we speak.

What did I do? I googled a bit for the error message above and found hints
that it was often due to incorrect settings for LNB. So I went into
mythtv-setup / capture cards, checked the diseq and sure enough it was
listed as disconnected. Grrr! When I know for sure I had set it to LNB
before, and saved. This is just voodoo. Anyway, patience. I re-entered the
LNB settings (mostly defaults) for both adapters. Saved. Started the
frontend. Watch TV. Nothing. Damn. I thought I was so close.

Stopped the backend. Restarted it from a terminal to see the log. Started
the frontend from a terminal to see its log too. Watch TV. And suddenly I
got a picture! Wow!!! Voodoo as to why it now worked and not before.

Went back into mythtv-setup to check that LNB was still there (you never
know). It was. Did mythfilldatabase on the way out. Didn' t work. Fiddled
with things a bit more. Did mythfilldatabase by hand from the command line,
and it worked. Restarted the frontend from the usual icon (not command
line). SOME of the time "watch tv" did nothing, some other times it showed
a picture. Scheduled a recording. It did start to record and I could view
the started recording. Big success. It' s still recordingl that first movie
(Pixar' s planes BTW, which I was hoping to see for the first time, yay)
while I'm writing this.

Meanwhile, reattempted "watch tv" (with recording in progress) and it
failed, meaning it briefly said "please wait"  and then nothing happened.
Several times. Really voodoo here. Once the recording finishes I'll restart
frontend and backend from terminal windows to look at the logs again and
try to nail it down.

Anyway MAJOR PROGRESS since yesterday. Very many thanks to all in this
thread.