[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 scan fails (0.29)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 24 04:15:11 UTC 2017

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 00:27:51 +0000, you wrote:

>By the sound of Mike's suggestions I probably haven't quite got the drivers
>for the cards working yet.
>
>As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, it would be useful to have a simple
>way to test that the card works before attempting to make it work with
>myth. The moral equivalent of "let me play this video with VLC and see if I
>hear any audio" before spending hours trying to get the audio configuration
>screens of myth to produce sounds when the fault was misconfigured drivers
>or bios or amplifier or whatnot.

Yes, from those logs I would suspect the card is not working properly
yet.  I have a script I use to scan the transponders on my satellite
(Optus D1), which is a good way of testing if the card is working.  It
produces a list of all the channels on all the transponders.  I have
put a copy here on my web server:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/skynz-satellite-scan.sh

It uses a slightly modified version of the TBS scan-s2 utility (I
think I just needed to make it work with larger adapter numbers).  I
have put that on my web server also, compiled for Ubuntu 14.04 and
16.04:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/scan-s2

I put mine in /usr/local/bin.

The log rotation script it uses is here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/rotate.sh

or you could just comment out the rotate line in the script if you do
not want automatic rotation.

To make my script work, you would need to adjust the settings for your
satellite.  The ones at the top, and also the echo lines that create
the $TMP_INIT file and the -l settings for the LNB on the scan-s2
lines.

Or you could just manually build a scan-s2 line to work for one
transponder.

What sort of LNB do you have?  What are its local oscillator
frequencies?

Let me know if you need any help making scan-s2 work for you.