[mythtv-users] converting home movies via mythtv?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Wed Dec 20 23:37:16 UTC 2017

On 12/20/2017 01:28 PM, Bob Wiegand wrote:
For converting files I would use HandBrake rather than Mythtv.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:
i’ve been putting off this task, but maybe it’s time.  I have a bunch of home movies that originally were on tape and were converted to DVD years ago.  I then copied the DVDs to my NAS for safe keeping.  But they are hard to work with in that DVD format. lots of .VOB files and DVD menu files, etc.  If I could convert these to mp4 (h.264) files they would be better for storing online in a safe place.

Any thoughts on the best way to do this.  Are some of the Job’s in Mythtv good for this??

Jim A

Of all the suggestions I think Handbrake is the best for my needs in this project.  I had a Windows 10 machine with the old DVD images on it's drives.  It turns out that Handbrake can take an entire directory (DVD image) and convert it to a new directory of 1 .m4v file for each .VOB file.  That way I have a directory structure similar to the old DVD images directories, but now in .m4v.  This should do what I want for long term storage of these ancient Beta Max and DV images. It's funny to look at what we marveled at with a Home beta max machine compared to my Samsung S8.

Jim A