[mythtv-users] Football game (US) changed during the broadcast

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Mon Dec 18 15:37:11 UTC 2017

Hi Dick,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> This isn't really a MythTV problem, but two weeks in a row the scheduled
> game on CBS in the Portland, OR, market started out as the game broadcast,
> but switched partway through to another game. I don't recall the four teams
> from the previous week, but yesterday it started out as the Bengals/Vikings
> game, and then switched partway in to the Jets/Saints game. I'm on Comcast.
> What I'm curious about is whether this was a CBS thing or a Comcast thing.

CBS.

The networks (CBS/FOX) switch from games that are blowouts to games that
aren't. A quick search yielded this nugget from reddit:

"IIRC, CBS and FOX are allowed to switch to broadcast another game when it
is at least the third quarter and one team is ahead by 18 or more points.
They will usually not pull the trigger so soon on the off-chance that the
trailing team makes a comeback to make the game more competitive."

> Did anybody else record/watch either of those games? I alway set up to
> record an hour and half beyond the scheduled end of the game to allow for
> overtime. The following program on CBS was another game, the
> Steelers/Patriots game. That was the game broadcast when the first game
> ended.

The Pats vs Steelers game was scheduled for that time slot.

Did you expect CBS to finish airing the Vikings/Bengals game after the
Saints/Jets game?

-m