[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: MythTV-Like Onscreen Keyboard for use with other applications and Remote Control

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Mon Dec 18 14:27:36 UTC 2017

On Monday, December 18, 2017 15:16 CET, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
 I use a FLIRC device (https://flirc.tv/). It's a little USB dongle that receives IR remote commands and acts just like a keyboard. I have used it on a Raspberry Pi to control both mythfrontend and kodi. (I still have some work to do to get either of these options to be acceptable in production use, but the FLIRC device works great). You will need a Windows machine to program it, but once programmed, it works well in Linux. --Greg  On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius.schrecker at lyse.net> wrote:Hi all,

  Please excuse and let me know if you feel this to be Off-Topic to the list.

I am putting together a mythTV frontend on a small device that will sit behind my TV and provide both MythTV and other "TV-Friendly" applications.

Obviously MythFrontend comes with a very handy onscreen keyboard which reacts to arrow-key and ENTER input events and maps these to keystrokes. However, the keyboard can only be used within MythTV.

What I am after is an onscreen keyboard that behaves in the same way and that can be used globally. So far I have only been able to find keyboards that respond to mouse cursor and click events.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to:

A. Use the mythtv keyboard outside mythtv?
OR.
B.Set up an alternative onscreen keyboard to behave in a similar way?

BR.

--Marius--

Thanks Greg/Doug,

  The question was really more about "onscreen keyboard" display than receiving IR commands, as I already have a solution for this.  I wold prefer not to have to but additional hardware for something that I see mostly as a configuration issue.

I would like to be able to navigate the onscreen keyboard using arrow keys, then select a keypress using ENTER.  My current, system-event based solution sends BTN_UP, -DOWN, -LEFT and -RIGHT commands as well as enter and works perfectly with the MythTV "Soft-keyboard".

  BR.

--Marius--