[mythtv-users] recording of non-scheduled TV

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 00:39:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 4:10 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius.schrecker at lyse.net
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   My TV provider is moving from scheduled content towards a week-at-a-time
> view-when-you-want solution.
>
> Previously, I have found MythTV to be quite tricky to use for manual
> recordings, but maybe I didn't understand the workflow, or things have
> changed.
>
>   So I was wondering, is there any way to:
> A. Choose a program from the listing,, even if the initial airing has
> passed, then manually start it, keeping the metadata and duration as per
> the scheduled entry?
> OR
> B. Set duration, enter metadata manually or look up and click Start.
>
> For either of these, MythTV would function more like an old-fashioned
> video/audio tape recorder without schedule.
>
>   GR.
>
> --Marius--

Years ago, since DirecTV DVRs we cheaper than HDPVR and a computer, I seud
to use a dual channel DVR to record, and then grab the metadata from and
play the show on the DVR and have MythTV record it.  If your provider has a
REST API that allows you to do this, I am sure I could find those old
scripts somewhere (being that long ago, I am sure they are in perl) and
they coud be adapted to massage the metadata.

I am sure it was probably back in the MythTV 0.23 or 0.22 days.  I did not
start MythTV until 0.19 I think, so I doubt I was good enough to pull it
off for a couple releases :)