[mythtv-users] Setting external channel change command:SOLVED

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Tue Dec 12 07:14:08 UTC 2017

On Monday, December 11, 2017 10:00 CET, "Marius Schrecker" <marius.schrecker at lyse.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Moving on with my backend setup, I'm running 0.29 on Ubuntu 17.10 with the Ubuntu packages. The box is a dedicated master backend, not running X.
>
>I log in over ssh with X forwarding as a regular "mythuser" user and the user is a member ov the "video" group, allowing me to see and set up my hauppauge pvr 1212.
>I used mythtv-setup to choose a listings provider, but then ran the channel selection manually, by editing the channel selection file in the mythuser/.mythtv folder. The channels appear to be present, albeit without channel numbers as I haven't gotten round to assigning them.
>
>From experience and previous reading, I know that I need to set an external channel change command for this to work, and after several years of still not having gotten round to making a script to send the channel change TCP packets over the internet, /bin/true will have to do for now, but I can't see the input box in the "External channel change command" dialog. The box is completely blank.
>
>Has anyone experienced this and which file / db_table stores the value, so that I could set it up manually?
>
>  BR.
>
>--Marius--

In the database in v29 it is the capturecard.externalcommand field I
believe. It only appears in mythtv-setup if a card that needs it is
being configured. Unfortunately, there are times when it would be
useful to use it with other card types, but I think it may work with
other card types if you set it up in the database manually. Some
things have moved from "Capture cards" to "Input connections"
recently, so look there also.
_______________________________________________Setting the value directly in the db at capturecard.externalcommand worked fine and the setting is now visible in mythtv-setup.  Thanks for your help.
BR.

--Marius--