[mythtv-users] Quiet, reliable hard drives

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 05:19:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:19 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 12 Dec 2017, at 8:28 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> >
> >  Any recommendations for a quiet & reliable hard drive for mythtv?  SSD
> would
> > fit the bill, but at 2 TB capacity (what I'm looking at), still a bit
> pricey.
> >
> >  I'm currently running 2 machines - a system with enterprise quality HD
> that
> > stores the data in a far way room (drives going on 5 years of operation
> and
> > still strong) and a frontend/main linux computer with all SSD.  Ideally,
> I'd
> > like to consolidate, but those enterprised HDs are quite noisy, and I
> like the
> > relatively quietness I have now.
> >
> >  Mythtv pretty much never records more than 1 thing at a time.  The
> storage is
> > also used for zoneminder & other minor storage use.
> >
> >  I'm tempted by the 2.5" lap top drives - those generally seem quieter &
> lower
> > power, but I'm not sure if they'd be up to long term use.  Though the
> Firecuda
> > comes with a 5 year warranty, suggesting some degree of robustness.
> >
> >  I currently mirror all of my data, and I'd probably want to do that
> with the
> > new setup.  I'll probably free up an SSD, so can use that as read/write
> cache.
> >
> >  Looking for thoughts/suggestions.
>
> I’ve been using the WD passport drives. (Both 2T and 4T)
> They are quiet, USB3 getting 60 odd MB/s write, and after a year I’ve had
> no failures (6 drives).
> The only fumble I’ve seen is that linux screws up them as (EFI) boot
> disks. Not immediately but after days/weeks grub>
> James

You are brave :)

I have had several Passports (I use them to back up stuff).  Out of the
1TB, 2TB and 3TB (spinning models), every one has failed me.  I just
started an RMA for my 3TB (second RMA on that model BTW) 2 days ago.

Granted, I sling them around with my laptop bag, but they are in protected
and well padded cases and I also park the heads before I unplug them.  I
only backup my important stuff and have enough space to mirror it on the
network in severa places, but I have a few things I need backed up outside
the house in case of disaster.  I use m.2 drives enclosed in USB enclosures
for that.

I must say though - if you are only getting 60MB/s writes on USB3
Passports, I would investigate that - On my Passport2, I get ~140 MB/s and
my Passport3 gets ~ 185 MB/s (using xfs and rsync) from NVME on my laptop..