[mythtv-users] Upgrade?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Dec 12 01:29:14 UTC 2017

On Dec 11, 2017, at 3:38 PM, Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com<mailto:jmcarron at gmx.com>> wrote:

I've been using Mythbuntu 14.04 LTS in a master backend and multiple frontends ever since it was released in 2014 and am completely satisfied with it. It just works. Is there any real advantage in upgrading to a more recent version such as 16.04 LTS?

mike

Having done upgrades a lot of different ways, I recommend that you simply backup your database and your recording directories to a NAS or external drive.  Then build a new mythbuntu 16.04  with mythtv 0.28.  Then restore your database and recordings.  My next upgrade will be to backup my mythbuntu 16.04 LTS with 0.28 mythtv system and then do a fresh install of Xubuntu 16.04.3 and then install mythtv 29.  then I’ll restore my database and recordings.

I have tired an upgrade in place from 0.28 to 29 and it failed.  So I don’t do upgrades in place.

Jim A