[mythtv-users] Quiet, reliable hard drives

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Dec 11 20:48:23 UTC 2017

  Any recommendations for a quiet & reliable hard drive for mythtv?  SSD would
fit the bill, but at 2 TB capacity (what I'm looking at), still a bit pricey.

  I'm currently running 2 machines - a system with enterprise quality HD that
stores the data in a far way room (drives going on 5 years of operation and
still strong) and a frontend/main linux computer with all SSD.  Ideally, I'd
like to consolidate, but those enterprised HDs are quite noisy, and I like the
relatively quietness I have now.

  Mythtv pretty much never records more than 1 thing at a time.  The storage is
also used for zoneminder & other minor storage use.

  I'm tempted by the 2.5" lap top drives - those generally seem quieter & lower
power, but I'm not sure if they'd be up to long term use.  Though the Firecuda
comes with a 5 year warranty, suggesting some degree of robustness.

  I currently mirror all of my data, and I'd probably want to do that with the
new setup.  I'll probably free up an SSD, so can use that as read/write cache.

  Looking for thoughts/suggestions.

  Thanks.