[mythtv-users] recommendation for video card needed

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Mon Dec 11 16:48:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com>
wrote:

> I have a Core 2 Duo system that is not doing anything right now and I
> would like to make a mythtv frontend with it.  However, the Intel GFX on
> that box doesn't produce good video playback with mythfrontend.  High
> motion scenes mess up a lot.
>
> I figure there has to be a Nvidia GFX card out there the is cheap and
> works well with Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS and Mythtv.  Is there a consensus
> of what to get to solve this problem? I know there are a lot of gamer
> cards out there, but video playback is much simpler and less GPU intensive.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Jim,

I was using an nVidia GTX 260 in my Core 2 Quad system until very recently
when I upgraded to a newer computer.  It played x264 content very well.

I don't think you can buy such an old card anymore (nearly 9 years old!)
but I'm sure you can find at least a 7xx card that would do the job even
more nicely.  I did not play around with the interlacing settings, and I
suspect my 260 would not have all the bells and whistles of a newer card,
but for my purposes it was fine.  I have a 760 GTX in my backend/frontend
machine now and it's pretty much overkill for my needs.

I always stick with nVidia cards as they have great support with Linux.  I
would still be using that card and system but I don't have a need for it
right now.  I run Fedora and use the rpmFusion drivers (akmod - the driver
automatically compiles against a new kernel.  Sometimes, not often, I have
to hold back a kernel while the newest akmod driver catches up but this
only happens for a few days and then it works.  I think if I remember that
you run Ubuntu.  That's not as bleeding edge and you won't run into those
kinds of issues).

I usually get a x60 card but it's for my main system, and that card gets
migrated to my backend/frontend.  I was looking for the VDPAU feature list
for each card and I can't find it!  sorry!  It was on Wikipedia.  The newer
the card, the more features it has, obviously.  I did see that the 9xx
cards (except for 970 and 980) support x265 decoding onboard.  That might
be a nice feature for future proofing, but x265 is pretty new and not seen
everywhere yet.  x264 decoding is pretty widely supported with probably any
card you will find.  I was able to watch x265 recordings with my system,
but that was all software decoded and wasn't based on my card.  I don't
know if a Core 2 Duo can handle it.  Get a sample video and see for
yourself.

Anyway, the short of it is that you will be able to watch mostly everything
with just about any half-decent card you'll find.  Look for VDPAU support
for the chipset you are looking at, find a value you like and pull the
trigger.