[mythtv-users] padding question

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 17:16:21 UTC 2017

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:46 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:02:23AM -0500, jrh wrote:
>>

>>> On Dec 7, 2017, at 10:53 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Actually, MythTV has changed.  When there are back to back programs on
>>> the same multiplex, it tries to put them on different multirec inputs
>>> for the same physical input.  That preserves the post-roll for the
>>> earlier show and the pre-roll for the later show.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> Does this present a problem for the HDHR tuners when for 30 seconds they can be overlapping as far as the 100Mbit limitation of the tuners?
>>
>> In our area, we have one real channel with 2 ‘720p’ stations(ABC and CBS) and if there were shows that followed on each of them there would be 4 720 streams attempted on that one tuner. Assuming something similar could happen on the other tuner, would there be problems with bandwidth?
>>
>> Usually down here the first amount of time and the last amount of time are lead in and lead out commercials.
>>
>> I wonder if there could be a setting that would let users choose whether or not to have this 30 second post roll that is defined outside of the settings discussed previously in this thread.
>
> There is no extra network traffic from the HDHR.  MythTv duplicates
> the data as needed and writes it to separate, recording files.
>
> David

If I am understanding correctly, there is no ‘penalty’ to the network connectivity, but for the 30 second overlap, the data will be saved twice, once for the preceding recording, and once for for the upcoming program. Small penalty I realize, but they add up over time.

I did prefer the original functionality prior to the modification for automatic pre and post roll however.

Regards