[mythtv-users] Just not getting ir-keytables?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 20:35:54 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/08/17 17:06, Tom Dexter wrote:
>

>> If I have to I can make it work by un-assigning an existing mapping to
>> a key I can use and using that, but I was hoping to avoid that.
>>

> One alternative is to use lirc with the devinput driver. This way, you can
> still have application-specific mappings using lircrc while using the kernel
> decoding.
>
> Cheers!
> --alec

Nobody's actually replied to several of my emails regarding exactly
what it is that gets used in the kernel under what circumstances. Very
early on you said that ir-lirc-codec was only used in conjunction with
devinput, which clearly does not seem to be the case. Here's what I
had during all my previous attempts using /dev/lirc0 and the default
driver:

Aug 24 09:50:57 mythfront kernel: rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver
ir-lirc-codec (serial_ir) registered at minor = 0

Others using the default driver seem to have confirmed that serial_ir
needs that as well. This appears to be why I get no /dev/lirc0 device
at all unless I enable IR_LIRC_CODEC. To further confuse things, the
old kernels with lirc_serial did NOT require this at all...did NOT
create any rc0 at all, and seem to show lirc_serial itself as being
the driver:

Aug 24 11:01:32 mythfront kernel: lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: lirc_dev:
driver lirc_serial registered at minor = 0

Aside from moving lirc_serial out of staging and changing it to
serial_ir, the above seems to indicate a significant restructuring of
how this all works. All insanely confusing.

Now back to the devinput driver: At one point I in fact tried that and
had no more luck than with the default driver...however I'd like to be
clear on using that:

If I understand correctly, the driver in the lirc_options.conf would
of course be the devinput, and the the device would be the path to the
proper event device under /dev/input(??). Assuming that's correct
exactly what is it that would be used in the kernel for that setup
other than serial_ir? Does it too require LIRC and IR_LIRC_CODEC. Does
it use any of the IR raw decoders.

Tom