[mythtv-users] Automatic channel scans

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 09:25:22 UTC 2017

On 12/08/17 12:23, Jeff wrote:
> Piotr,
>
> On 11/08/17 17:46, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> You may look (and also devs) on LVR patch for more-or-less such functionality.
>> patch attached
> If that does what it says on the box, it would be brilliant.
>
> I'm not sure I want to go down the dark path of patching my Myth
> packages, as I would then have to do it again for every new release that
> the PPA offers me.
>
> Presumably there is a good reason why this patch didn't find its way
> into the main development trunk.
>
> Does anyone know what this reason was?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

I have tried out the patch
(0302-TV-Auto-detect-added-moved-and-removed-DVB-channels-.patch from
LVR's mythtv-master patch set from February 2017) on a test system
running mythtv master (30-pre) equipped with two tuners (Astrometa USB
DVB-T/T2 - Freeview  and TBS-6981 PCI-e DVB-S/S2 -Freesat).

A second patch
(0162-TVRec-Add-a-standby-method-to-close-recorder-devices.patch) as
0302.. depends on this  also has to applied, together with a small
change  to make it apply (this is due to changes in mythtv master since
the patch was created)

 From my very limited testing it certainly finds new channels and adds
them.

I have not looked at  the channel moved and channel deleted stuff.

I am not seeing any Frontend messages, but I have not looked into this.
Not  sure messages to the Frontend are that useful, maybe a better
option would be either a specific log file or additional screen in
System Status.

I also think some additional control maybe needed over what type of
channels are to be checked, together with option to turn on/off
completely, or report only (no changes to the database)

In the LVR patch set there are also patches for command line channel
scanner in mythtv-setup for DVB-S/S2 Freesat, again I have briefly
looked at these and they do work, but there is a problem with my
Astrometa DVB-T/T2 in that it always reports new channels instead of old
channels.

Mike