[mythtv-users] lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 21:56:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/08/17 22:30, Tom Dexter wrote:
>

>> Still no /dev/lirc0 getting created. Awful.
>
> This is a kernel issue, and you might need to get in touch with the kernel
> devs or (sometimes easier) downstream distro kernel maintainers. As I said,
> this is above may $0 paygrade...
>

>> Here's what I get when starting lircd:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/lircd start
>>   * Starting lircd ...
>>   * Setting lirc protocol active for rc0
>>
>> That last line is echoing to this:
>>
>> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>>
>> Is that how thats intended to look? I think you said that it should
>> only have lirc?
>

> yup, looks fine if you plan to use the /dev/lirc0 device and the default
> driver.
>
> Basically this looks like a kernel bug to me: It has a rc0 /sys device, runs
> the lirc protocol and still does not present a /dev/lirc0 link. I assume you
> have checked dmesg for any clue.
>
> FWIW, a working lirc0 also creates a /sys/class/rc/rc0/lirc0  link.
>

> Cheers!
>
> --alec

Thanks Alec. I was really thrown off by the post from Richard above
being that he had codec modules such as ir_lirc_codec loaded. Is that
simply not being used in that case (since he's using /dev/lirc0 and
the default driver)? For example, when /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols has
drivers, but only the [lirc] is in brackets, does that mean that the
kernel decoders are NOT being used?

That will at least give me an idea as to what's actually happening. I
actually just compiled with several of the modules he had just to see
what happened when serial_ir gets loaded my modprobe.

Thanks
Tom