[mythtv-users] Best tuner for Myth/ATSC?

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:31:45 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-20 08:57 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:

> I don't have cable so don't need any of those features.  I plan to use the
> new tuner exclusively for OTA (ATSC, NYC area).  I would prefer 2 or 3
> tuners and USB 3 as that is what the Liva X provides.

DISCLAIMER:  I haven't used _any_ USB tuners, but have researched a few
with the thought of using a Raspberry Pi as a MythTV backend.  Following
is what I learned.

A)  WinTV-HVR-955Q
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr955q.html

If you do not wish to upgrade your GNU/Linux or MythTV installation,
then this USB option would provide 1 ATSC tuner that should work with
your existing configuration.

B)  WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html

If you are open to upgrading your GNU/Linux and MythTV installation,
then this USB option provides 2 ATCS tuners.

Note that the Hauppauge site indicates that they support the above two
tuners via a Personal Package Archive (PPA) for *ubuntu 16.04 and 17.04.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html

Note that I am not affiliated with Hauppauge, but have had good
experiences with the seven WinTV-HVR-2250's I purchased back in 2011.

Regards,
Curtis