[mythtv-users] Best tuner for Myth/ATSC?

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Mon Aug 21 02:57:49 UTC 2017

The old OnAir Creator finally seems to have died.  The USB system doesn't
recognize it any more.  It used to lock up semi-regularly when the temperature
rose above 73F, even with the fan I had blowing on it for the last few years.
It looks like the hardware problem got progressively worse and it finally died.

Of course I tried different usb ports and a different cable.  No difference.

I don't have cable so don't need any of those features.  I plan to use the
new tuner exclusively for OTA (ATSC, NYC area).  I would prefer 2 or 3
tuners and USB 3 as that is what the Liva X provides.

An amazon search returns quite a few dongle-type units for "Windows PC" or
"Supports Windows & Android" which makes me suspicious that a lot of the
processing is offloaded to the PC and requires drivers and/or software only
available for WIndows.  I'm running Debian on the Liva X and currently Myth
0.27 as that is what comes packaged for that version.  I'd rather have a
plug-in solution rather than have to upgrade Myth.

If there's no other choice, I'd go with an ethernet-based tuner, but that
would imply getting an 8-port Gbit router as I'm only running 100Mb/s at
the moment and I would prefer not to clog up the local network with HD video
streams.

Is there a USB 3 ATSC tuner with 2 or 3 tuners that works well with Myth?

It would be nice if it also had an analog input as I have a camera that
I actually never got to work with the OnAir unit and mythzonminder, and
I would also like to digitize old VCR tapes.  This means a hardware mpeg
encoder most likely.  The OnAir had one.

I eagerly await any responses.  It sucks not being able to record any more.

BTW, I did go back about a year and re-read all the threads about modern
tuners but none seemed specific to ATSC.

Thanks!