[mythtv-users] Mceusb how to transmit IR codes

Doug Scoular (dscoular) dscoular at cisco.com
Fri Aug 18 09:43:54 UTC 2017

Hi All,
                I’m happily running mythbuntu 16.04.2 and have had lircd working with devinput to receive my MCE IR remote control input quite happily.

lsusb shows the device as:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0471:060c Philips (or NXP) Consumer Infrared Transceiver (HP)

                For ages I’ve been wanting to play with the transmit side of the mceusb device but all my attempts to use irsend(1) fail with:

root at spug:~# irsend -d /dev/lircd  SET_TRANSMITTERS 0
irsend: command failed: SET_TRANSMITTERS 0
irsend: hardware does not support sending
root at spug:~# irsend -d /dev/lircd  SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
irsend: command failed: SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
irsend: hardware does not support sending
root at spug:~# irsend -d /dev/lircd  SET_TRANSMITTERS 2
irsend: command failed: SET_TRANSMITTERS 2
irsend: hardware does not support sending
root at spug:~# irsend SEND_ONCE "devinput" "MENU"
irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE devinput MENU
irsend: hardware does not support sending

I can see that various lircd and mceusb kernel modules are loaded but I’m at a bit of a loss as to how to get IR transmission working:

root at spug:~# lsmod|egrep '(lirc|mce)'
ir_lirc_codec          16384  0
lirc_dev               20480  1 ir_lirc_codec
ir_mce_kbd_decoder     16384  0
rc_rc6_mce             16384  0
mceusb                 28672  0
rc_core                28672  14 ir_sharp_decoder,ir_xmp_decoder,lirc_dev,ir_lirc_codec,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,ir_sony_decoder,mceusb,ir_mce_kbd_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_sanyo_decoder,rc_rc6_mce

The kernel does recognise the device and notices when the IR transmitter is plugged in:

root at spug:~# dmesg|grep mce
[    0.016824] mce: CPU supports 6 MCE banks
[   13.332036] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[   13.338220] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as /devices/virtual/input/input11
[   13.343049] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered at minor = 0
[   13.548043] mceusb 2-2:1.0: Registered   BB+ Dongle(e.d) with mce emulator interface version 1
[   13.548047] mceusb 2-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x1 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x1 active)
[   13.548084] usbcore: registered new interface driver mceusb

I have read that the devinput lircd driver doesn’t support transmission but I can’t seem to find the appropriate one to use for the mceusb device:

root at spug:~# lircd --driver=help
Driver `help' not supported.
Supported drivers:
        accent
        alsa_usb
        asusdh
        atilibusb
        atwf83
        audio
        audio_alsa
        awlibusb
        bte
        bw6130
        commandir
        creative
        creative_infracd
        default
        devinput
        dfclibusb
        dsp
        dvico
        ea65
        ftdi
        i2cuser
        irlink
        irman
        livedrive_midi
        livedrive_seq
        logitech
        macmini
        mp3anywhere
        mplay
        mplay2
        mouseremote
        mouseremote_ps2
        null
        pcmak
        pinsys
        pixelview
        samsung
        sb0540
        silitek
        srm7500libusb
        tira
        tira_raw
        udp
        uirt2
        uirt2_raw
        usb_uirt_raw
        usbx

Ideally, I’d like to learn how to manually run the appropriate lircd command from the command-line, specify all the needed options and get it working with irsend independent of the mythbuntu startup scripts.

Any help or advice hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Doug