[mythtv-users] Saving a recorded show to another location

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Aug 18 07:52:04 UTC 2017

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:37:44 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> If there a straightforward way to copy a recorded show to another location,
>> i.e. a flash drive or network drive that's not configured as a storage
>> group? I know you can go into the storage group partition and hunt for it
>> but that's hard to do given the file naming conventions mythtv uses and a
>> lot of recorded shows.
>
> What are you trying to do by moving the file?  You can just move
> recording files anywhere you like.  If the file is no longer found on
> a storage group, MythTV will flag that it can not be found but will
> cope with that without any problems.  You can also have links to
> recording files that rename them - there are scripts like mythlink for
> that:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
>
> Or you can export a copy of a recording along with its related
> database by using mythexport, and then use mythimport to import the
> copy into another MythTV database.
>
> Original Mythexport and Mythimport (works with older MythTV versions
> only):
>    https://launchpad.net/mythexport
>    https://launchpad.net/mythimport
>   https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mythexport&searchon=names
>   https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mythimport&searchon=names
>
> My updated Mythexport and Mythimport (compatible with 0.28 and 29):
>    http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythimport.html
>
> The export/import process only works with compatible database
> versions, so leaving around a set of exported recordings will not be
> useful if the destination database gets upgraded to a version that has
> any changes in the recording tables.

Again, I'm not sure what you want to do.  Perhaps you can't identify the
actual video file?  Its name, but not its location, is accessible from
the frontend:  select it, then hit info (i), maybe twice.  mythlink will
list recordings in a folder, with multiple format and naming options,
which can be displayed, sorted and copied with a system file manager.
You won't get the metadata, but the files can be played as videos in
mythtv - drop into a video folder and rescan it - or other players that
understand the format.