[mythtv-users] mythexport/mythimport is compatible with MythTV 29

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 17 01:24:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:14:10 +0100, you wrote:

>On 16/08/17 19:10, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> Stephen says these packages will avoid the 'recordedid' problem which
>> hit me when using MythArchive native mode to copy recordings between
>> independent Myth boxes, but the packaging all looks ubuntu based.  This
>> was brought up in 2012, when it was asserted that the scripts-as-of-then
>> could be unpacked from the .deb format and used in other OSes.  I just
>> downloaded the packages and haven't noticed any  difficulty in reading
>> their contents in SL7 (el7 clone) - but have people outside ubuntuland
>> actually used them?   Were special measures needed to stop disasters?
>>
>> John P
>
>I decided to install on a kubuntu laptop which probably isn't the
>environment you expected:
>
>$ uname -r
>4.10.0-32-generic
>
>:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i mythexport_2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2_amd64.deb
>[sudo] password for john:
>Selecting previously unselected package mythexport.
>(Reading database ... 314940 files and directories currently installed.)
>Preparing to unpack mythexport_2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2_amd64.deb ...
>Unpacking mythexport (2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2) ...
>dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythexport:
>  mythexport depends on libconfig-simple-perl; however:
>   Package libconfig-simple-perl is not installed.
>  mythexport depends on libxml-rss-perl; however:
>   Package libxml-rss-perl is not installed.
>  mythexport depends on libproc-daemon-perl; however:
>   Package libproc-daemon-perl is not installed.
>  mythexport depends on libproc-pid-file-perl; however:
>   Package libproc-pid-file-perl is not installed.
>  mythexport depends on liblog-dispatch-perl; however:
>   Package liblog-dispatch-perl is not installed.
>  mythexport depends on libxml-writer-perl; however:
>   Package libxml-writer-perl is not installed.
>  mythexport depends on libavcodec-extra; however:
>   Package libavcodec-extra is not installed.
>
>dpkg: error processing package mythexport (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu19) ...
>Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
>ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
>Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
>Errors were encountered while processing:
>  mythexport
>~/Downloads$
>
>~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i mythimport_2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2_amd64.deb
>Selecting previously unselected package mythimport.
>(Reading database ... 314984 files and directories currently installed.)
>Preparing to unpack mythimport_2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2_amd64.deb ...
>Unpacking mythimport (2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2) ...
>Setting up mythimport (2.2.4-0ubuntu5-jsw2) ...
>Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
>~/Downloads$
>
>I tried installing some of the packages quoted as missing, but got told
>to use 'apt-get -f install' which fetched a lot more.  Now it seems
> [...]

The mythexport package should be fine on any 16.04 Ubuntu based
system.  It is a bit of pain installing using dpkg as the dependencies
are not automatically installed, as you found out.  But what you have
done is correct - the dependencies need to be installed using apt, so
their dependencies will also be installed.  On other distros, the
package files would need to be extracted and put where that distro
wants them, and integrated into Apache, and any dependencies installed
manually.

The mythimport program is different - it is just a single file Python
program.  It needs MythTV and Python 2 and the MythTV Python bindings,
but will tell you what else it needs if it does not find it, and does
not need installing as such - it can be run from anywhere.  I normally
put a copy of it on the media I am using to transport the exported
files and often run it from there.

I have considered creating a mythexport Python program that works like
mythimport does - just a single file Python program.  It would be
given some SQL to use to look up the database and identify recordings
to be exported, then do the export process when the user said it had
found the right recordings.  That would make it much easier to use on
non-Ubuntu systems.  But the GUI would not be available, so it would
not be as easy to use.  If anyone wants such a mythexport program,
please let me know.  It should not be too difficult to write.