[mythtv-users] judder problems with nvidia 384.59 work round

jksjdevelop jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:02:48 UTC 2017

On 14/08/17 22:39, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 14/08/17 09:59, jksj wrote:
>> Related to the existing thread Judder problems with nvidia 358.16 but
>> I have raised this as a separate thread as it only offers a work round.
>>
>> Recently bought a Nvidia GT 1030 which requires the latest driver
>> (384) and started to suffer from really bad judder.
>>
>> Puzzled by the fact that other apps like Kodi were judder free but
>> preferred to stick with mythfrontend.
>>
>> Guessed eventually that Kodi worked because it was using a fixed
>> frame rate unlike Mythtv which was attempting to dynamically adjust it.
>>
>> So I am now judder free by not following the instructions in
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
>>
>> Specifically
>>
>> Fix the refresh rate before running the frontend, for Freesat or
>> Freeview in the UK the following works.
>>
>> nvidia-settings -a 0/CurrentMetaMode="1920x1080_50 @1920x1080 +0+0"
>>
>> Then in the “Video Mode Settings” page referred to in the wiki,
>> _un_check “Separate video modes for GUI and TV playback”
>>
> I have 854.59 too, with a GT 710, and have settings that look quite
> similar, eventually saved from the NVIDIA config GUI; sometimes I can
> get it to come out the same twice.
>
>  Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Device0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     Option         "Stereo" "0"
>     Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
>     Option         "metamodes" "HDMI-0: 1920x1080_50 +1024+0, VGA-0:
> 1024x768_75 +0+0"
>     Option         "SLI" "Off"
>     Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
>     Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> But I still have the defect I've mentioned before. In HD playback
> during pan/tilt there is a perceptible horizontal divider, not always
> in the same position, between two good sections of the picture.  It
> looks as if it ought to be kept off-screen by syncing the processing
> to the TV display, but 'X server XVideo Settings' and
> ~/.nvidia-settings-rc both claim that this is being done.
>
> I suppose it might be relevant that I'm using
> 'mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1024+0' for the tv, with
> 'mythfrontend' by itself giving a windowed 1024x576 display on the
> monitor.
>
> Is this kind of defect one that other people see - and is there a way
> to stop it?  upnp does give a workaround for me.
>
> John P

I have not experienced the  the tearing you describe. A quick google
shows various  Mythtv pages covering this but I think they maybe out of
date. I remember that it used to be necessary to run a desktop without
compositing but I think that is fixed now.

The bits that look different in xconfig are

Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0" --which implies a VGA
connection

"metamodes" "HDMI-0: 1920x1080_50 +1024+0, VGA-0: 1024x768_75 +0+0" --

If you are driving a VGA connection have you tried re-synching the
monitor using its controls.

Do other apps like VLC or Kodi display without tearing?