[mythtv-users] best method to upgrade 28.1 to 29 on ubuntu 16.04

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 15:24:49 UTC 2017

On 15/08/17 15:27, Jason Zarin wrote:
> It's been a long time since I've done a change of the mythtv ppa and
> upgrade to a new mythtv branch.
>
> What is the best way to do it to ensure a minimum of problems?
>
> possible options:
>
> * apt-remove myth*? then remove the old ppa, add the new one, and
> reinstall?
> * add the new ppa, remove the old ppa, then do a dist-upgrade?
> * add the new ppa, remove the old ppa, apt-remove myth*, then reinstall?
>
> or something else?
>
> thanks

Note it seems the PPA to use is *ppa:mythbuntu/0.29*
(I would have expected *ppa:mythbuntu/29 *but this only has an entry for
Trusty (ubuntu 14.04))

What I have done in the past on ubuntu based systems is:

Backup the database manually  and copy it to somewhere safe  (this is
just for safety)  see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

then reboot the machine

repeat for any slave backends and frontends

Mike