[mythtv-users] Migrating backend from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 16.04

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Aug 13 16:21:01 UTC 2017

I'm about to migrate my mythtv backend from a machine running
2:0.27.6+fixes.20160417.aba4858-0ubuntu0mythbuntu4 on Ubuntu 12.04 to a
different machine on Ubuntu 16.04. On the new machine,

$ apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1

I will only need the backend to be able to see the schedule information,
more or less the way I can see it with MythWeb on the old machine. I
currently have no TV hardware to connect. The schedule layout in MythWeb
is far superior to the way Comcast's Xfinity layout looks.

So the question is, if I backup the database from version 27, will I be
able to restore it in version 28? If not, am I better off downgrading to
version 27, or would it be better to go through the setup of 28 to set
up the database with the Comcast channel line up?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens