[mythtv-users] Automatic channel scans

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Aug 10 16:41:16 UTC 2017

On 10/08/17 14:46, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 10/08/17 13:13, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to
>>> mythtv.
>>>
>>> mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan
>>> and either apply immediately  or save it for later use, see
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
>>> However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
>>> DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current
>>> channel setup with automated last scan and just identify something
>>> has changed, the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either
>>> rescan existing transports (with search for new transports selected)
>>> or import the automated scan results.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> That wiki page lists a lot of DB tables which don't appear here
>>
>> https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/group__db__schema.html
>>
>> I tried  [mythconverg]> describe dvbt-ofdm-uk ;
>>
>> and got an SQL syntax error.  mythtvsetup --help doesn't show anything
>> I can identify with it.  Does it exist?   I did try to use a saved
>> scan once, with DVB-T, but got nothing useful.  The scan hadn't been
>> made with this tool, though.
>>
>> John
>
> Those are not mythconverg DB tables, they are just instructions , within
> mythtv_setup code and associated libs they get split (at the -) and
> processed so the command line channel scanner knows what to do.
>
> Mike

OK, I found some related code in libs/libmythtv/frequencytables.cpp, but
attempts to run it just show me

$ mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
Received '1' but unassociated arguments have not been enabled

mythtv-setup version: master [v30-Pre-v30-Pre-3-g538f99e] www.mythtv.org
(and yes, the version number is eccentric)
followed by the usual result of
mythtvsetup --help

I have tried:
mythtv-setup --scan
mythtvsetup --scan
mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-gb 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
and various others
but

mythtv-setup --scan-list

did print a plausible-looking list of past scans.

Any suggestions?

John